Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Sunday 17 October 2010

Swim Rage Part 2

I promise I will stop moaning about swim rage after this post but this is dedicated to a woman I met at breakfast this morning after the Herbalife event (which I will talk about in the next post) who totally gets what I'm talking about!! After the event I drove back down to Milton Keynes and headed to the gym to get Day 17's swim in before the arrival of the windscreen people (GRRRR!!!!). Everything was going swimmingly so to speak and I was into my third km when I was joined by another man. He was a faster swimmer than me so when I stopped to let him passed, I asked whether he'd like to swim side by side in the lane so I wouldn't hold him up. He said that actually he'd prefer not to as it 'confused him'. Seriously??! How can that be confusing? Anyway, he obviously spotted my look of incredulity and explained it might also be annoying if someone else were to join us in the lane and in fact he was just about to 'invite his daughter to join us' and started called to a girl across the pool. Bemused, I left him cajoliing her to join us in the fast lane and carried on with my set. Well, no wonder she needed persuading as she was probably no more than ten and set about swimming as her dad had instructed but doing a slow breaststroke. I couldn't quite fathom why her Dad had asked her to join us when she would obviously struggle but, not wanting her to have a bad swimming experience, tried to be as courteous as possible. She was obviously not accustomed to 'swim etiquette' being so young but I just tried to be patient and let her swim at her own speed, waiting at the end of each length for her to get far enough ahead so I wouldn't catch her. Not so for her charming father though who continued to swim a rather ostentatious frontcrawl throughout. And when he inevitably caught up with his poor daughter, instead of waiting and encouraging her, he sprinted splashily past her, often bumping into me coming the other way. What a twit!!

So about from Mr Competitive Dad, the daily swim challenge continues to go well and I am really enjoying it. I fully expect it to get hard over the next 14 days but at the moment I am relishing the routine and having fun with it. I'm going to try and get a run in this evening (windscreen men dependent) which will round off a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment