Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Monday 25 October 2010

The Life of a Pro Swimmer....

Well, maybe not quite but certainly nearly and definitely more than that of a pro triathlete this week. To finish the swim challenge I shall be swimming nearly 50kms this week. Definitely more than a pro triathlete would and nearly that of a pro swimmer. And they don't have work and an imminently returning fiance to cope with!

Day 23 and 24 went well. I enjoyed the swims both times and felt particularly strong yesterday evening. I swam the full distance of 5,750m on Saturday to start building endurance and then did a split swim on Sunday. I did 1800m post a 12mile run to feel how it felt to swim directly after running (albeit a lot shorter than the A2A will be!) and followed it up with 4,200m in the evening where I had a great feel for the water. Surprisingly I didn't feel tired swimming after running despite almost running out of energy during the run itself and my legs weren't tired. Weirdly my arms were though! I don't know if that is just cumulative fatigue from the other three weeks or whether they get tired by running?! If they get tired by running I will need to try and minimise that during the A2A as I need them fresh for the swim - maybe I am hunching my shoulders or carrying tension in them - not sure! Once I got swimming they did loosen off and they did feel good in the evening swim.

Day 25 looms - it'll be split swims all this week and three run and 1 core-stability session to add in. Come the weekend I shall do at least one of the swims all the way through and possibily both the saturday and sunday swims - depends how running goes as I also have a 14mile run pencilled in for sunday so i'll need to juggle a bit. Plus Ad is home on the Tuesday so I'll also have washing, cleaning etc to do!! Good training this weekend though. The run and swim on sunday were approximately 1/7th each of the A2A distances. Now I just got to do 7 times those amounts plus 180miles on the bike and I'm there! :)

Have a great week. Please add comments to let me know what you are all up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment