Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Friday 22 October 2010

The Swim Challenge....

So, as you will be aware, I have reached Day 22 of the Swim Challenge (10lengths x the day of the month). Swimming has been going well and I have luckily been spared too many aches or pains. My shoulders have been stiff on occasion but they usually loosen off once I have begun swimming though my neck has been getting quite tight.

Tuesday was the first day where I didn't really fancy swimming and with 4,750m to do in a single session it was always going to be tough. Still, once I actually was swimming and certainly post-swim I felt much better for doing it. Wednesday saw a 2km early morning swim - eek - as I had planned to run the annual Henlow 10 at lunchtime. This is a great 10miler that I have run for the last two years but I left entering this year until the last minute as I wasn't sure what shape I would be in. I think that probably caused a bit of doubt in my mind come the day as I didn't have any pressure to do it so that plus a bit of a sore throat meant I wimped out. I decided not to run by telling myself it was sensible so as not to have jeopardised the completion of my October swim challenge but I probably could have done it if I was a bit mentally tougher! I did however go down as a volunteer and helped out with the results collation so at least I was contributing in some way. Wednesday evening saw the final required 3kms. Thursday I swam 3,250m at lunch meaning I only had a 2km swim for the evening and for this I was joined by my friend Becki. It was so lovely to have a change of set and someone to do the training with and the lengths passed easily. A relax in the steam room post-swim for a good gossip and a lovely homemade burger at the gym was our reward.

Today is Day 22 and I have just finished 3,500m this lunchtime so I have 2kms to do tonight which I will do as a cool down after the run I have scheduled. I'll probably do an hour of run/walk - building consistency with my running is the most important thing at the moment. The weekend will be tough with a straight 5,750ms on Saturday and then a 12mile run followed by a straight 6km swim on Sunday. Ouch! I know in the future this will become a small-fry training session but it seems a reasonable amount at the moment. In fact it is about a 1/7th of the A2A!!

No comments:

Post a Comment