Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Monday 25 July 2011

Taper time.....

Since the 10hr swim I have found myself to be quite demotivated and lethargic. With now less than four weeks to go I have started my taper which is strange as normally I would only taper for ten days or so before a big event. I know that because it is such a big event I need to concentrate on shortening the workouts, eating well and getting lots of rest but the normal taper anxiety is setting in. This is a common phenomenon where you start to panic about all the training you haven't done and what fitness you will lose before the big day. It is actually pointless worrying! There isn't any scope for me to do another long workout before the big day and anyway I wouldn't get any fitter for doing so and may even compromise the race if I got injured or pushed too hard etc. All I can do now is rest and try not to go too mad. I am experience enough to know all these things but I still spoke to Steve and Eddie, the Enduroman directors to take advice on the taper. Needless to day, they told me to do all the things I knew I should be doing which was good. Even if you are experience, the 'taper madness' makes you a little crazy so it is nice to get some reassurance!

Now is the time to focus on the publicity, logistics and fundraising side of things. I have involved both the Herbalife PR team and the RAF Media Comms cell and since then it seems the publicity machine has kicked into high gear. The first article to come out was a piece in the Grantham Journal which can be found at here. Following on from that piece, a reporter from The Sun called to talk to me as they are a huge supporter of the military in general and Help for Heroes in particular. They will hopefully publish a piece over the weekend sometime.

Other than that I am trying to create a fundraising strategy as, bar completing the race, the main emphasis for this is to raise money for good causes. The two charities are linked to this blog and are ready to receive your donations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment