Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Is this the taper.....?

So I have spent the last two days at the beautiful Belvoir Castle which was the site of the RAF Interservices competition against our sister services and teams from the Fire, Police and Prison service. Obviously I am not competing but have been extremely busy in my role as Safety Director for the event. I am now not only physically tired ( I was up til midnight working on the Emergency plan and then up again at 5.30am to get there in time for registration to open) but mentally tired from trying to remember everything I had to get done. Thankfully the event ran smoothly with no major incidents and everyone finished safely. A huge well done to all those who competed especially the brilliant RAF teams who gave a fabulous effort as always and were rewarded with some great performances. People are often staggered by the distance I am attempting but I always tell them it is because I don't have a fast twitch fibre in my body so have to find other ways to challenge myself!! And boy, would I have got a hiding today - I am certain I would have come last by miles and I was so impressed by the speed of everyone racing and their ability to wring out every last bit of effort even though muscles would have been screaming and lungs burning! Chapeau as they say a la Tour! :)

I have one more thing left to do, which is host a two-day 2* visit next week at work before I can literally just concentrate on normal tasks and start focusing on the huge event ahead. I am nearly there with the logistics of everything, I just really need to secure a support vehicle and we are about ready. This weekend is the big list making weekend and then the mad shop will start. I managed to snaffle some flourescent 'CAUTION CYCLISTS' signs from the race today and some marshal vests so we're one up already with the financiers. :) The spare room is about to be transformed into Race HQ........

No comments:

Post a Comment