Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Friday 10 June 2011

Lanza - Post-mortem

Ad and I spent a few days post-event with Eddie and Lynn and finally it felt like a bit of a holiday! The day after the event I awoke without too much muscle soreness which I always think is astonishing. I suffer much much more from doing a stand-alone marathon than I ever have from a distance triathlon event. I don't know whether it is because the intensity is lower or because you are using all the muscle groups but I always feel reasonably ok afterwards. We spent a few days doing touristy things like visiting the Timafaya National Park and heading down to the beach at Playa Blanca. Typically despite being beautiful weather during the challenge, it was a bit overcast when we finally managed to have some time to spend on the beach. We also managed to ruin the poor Endurovan! On our first day, Ad opened the door into the wind and it nearly wrenched it off its hinges! And when we were in the National Park, someone helpfully drove into it in the car park and has dented the door. So the poor van is a bit bashed up but Eddie has been very generous about its misfortune saying it adds character!! It was wonderful to spend some time away with Ad and Eddie and Lynn continued to be the most wonderful hosts. We all went out for a meal on our last night and it was great to be with them and chew the fat and absorb all of their advice and experience ahead of the A2A. Finally Thursday came and Ad had to head back to the UK while I headed to the North of the island to Club La Santa to join the RAF Triathlon Training Camp who were flying out that day. Lynn and Eddie gave me a wonderful gift to celebrate the Lanzarote Ultra, some fabulous local wine made on the island and a pair of beautiful silver and peridot earrings which I will always wear to compete in now for good luck!

Now I can reflect on the event, I don't think it could have gone much better. Yes, I certainly had points during the swim where I wanted to give up but I didn't even get to the point of vocalising those thoughts so they can't have been that major and more importantly, I managed to work through them which is a great confidence builder for the A2A. The run went really well and I got through the cycle on no training so it shows what can be achieved if you put your mind to it! I just need to stay positive now ahead of the A2A, prepare as best I can and focus on building the mental strength required to get through the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment