Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Thursday 11 February 2010

Well that's a way to make race weight....!

I had a great training day last Friday racking up 16miles on the treadmill. Adam and I had booked to take our friends away for the weekend as a wedding present so I wanted to make sure I got my long run in early so I could prioritise the weekend relaxing. I had a bit of a long slow run epiphany last week in that I realised why people advocate running marathon training runs so slowly (how can 22miles at 10.30min/mile prepare you for running 26miles at 9min/mile pace?!). In training the most important thing to build endurance is time on the feet. Your ability to run faster comes for the tempo and speedwork runs. If I do my training runs at 9min/mile pace not only will it take a lot out of me but it also negates how much time I spend on my feet and thus hampers endurance building. The difference between 22miles at 10.30min/mile and 9min/mile pace is 33mins (3hrs 51 and 3hrs 18 respectively). That 33mins when I am already really tired is what is helping build the ability to run for 4hours. So, anyway I tried to run a bit slower for my 16miles (very against instinct but we'll see) and completed it in 2hrs 33mins. Just over 9.30min/mile pace. So still a bit fast but I am reasonably happy with that. I have longer runs to come and some long races aswell which will quench the need for speed! This weekend is the Stamford Striders Valentine's 30k (18.75). Adam is working so I figure I may aswell train!!

Anyway, long run bagged we set off for a lovely relaxing weekend at Oulton Hall with the plan to do a long ride on the Monday to finish the weekend off. I had thought I would maybe sneak a little intervals session in on the Sunday if I felt like it but was open to having two full days off if needs be as I was feeling a bit tired. We had a fab time relaxing with friends, eating too much and spending time in the spa and I felt great taking the two days off. Ready and recharged to face a heavy bike week this week.

Hmmm, well Monday came and the ride was abandoned. Not, for once (!), because we couldn't be bothered or the snow had ruined things but because Adam and I woke up and both promptly threw up! Nice!! We both spent the day feeling absolutely terrible with all the symptons of food poisoning. Three of the four of us had tried oysters on the Saturday nights as a little amuse bouche but let me tell you, come Monday my bouche was not amused!!! We left out friends and drive slowly across to Adam's parents who luckily live only a few miles away. We were in no fit state to drive (I spent most of the day sleeping or otherwise disposed(!)) so had to call in sick for the Tuesday aswell. It really ruined what had been a lovely weekend! Still, having not managed to eat for two days I happily read the scales on Wednesday morning at 10st 8lbs. Racing weights here I come!! ;)

Needless to say, I am still not 100% fit though the desire to train is back. I had a gentle swim yesterday and will do a interval session today followed by some biking this evening. I won't do too much in advance of the race on Sunday which I want to be fully fit again for so I am having a slightly impromptu rest week! Results of the race to come.........

No comments:

Post a Comment