Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Wednesday 30 September 2009

4th is the worst place to come.....

Having taken Thursday off as I had an all day meeting and a 2hr each way commute to content with, I had had to use Friday to get my long run in. This meant I had missed Friday's speed work session and was playing catch-up. There was a local 5k running in Milton Keynes this weekend and I decided to head down to that and use it as a speed/tempo type session to replace Friday's. Having trained all the way upto the race I wasn't expecting anything fantastic just a good session and a bit of a marker to see where I am before training begins in earnest. I jogged the mile and a half down from my house as warm-up then sat in the shade watching people prepare. About 15mins from the start they began a mass aerobics warm-up which I have always avoided since I got sunstroke from bouncing around in the sun before the start of the Great North Run. So I did a few strides instead and then waited for the start.

The run follows a route around Willen Lake that I run on a regular basis so it was good to know how far I had to go etc. I ignored my watch at the first km and was pleased to find I was at 9.25 through 2kms. The km between three and four seemed very long but I was still on target to go sub-25 (my secret dream) as I passed the 4km mark in 19.09. In the last 50m a sprightly young girl zoomed past me but I had no energy to chase and finished a few moments later in 23.33. I was frankly flabbergasted at this time and it is a massive pb! I was only slightly peeved to hear them announcing as I crossed the line, .."Charlotte...17 years old....got the third woman spot....." Damn!! I know it is just a local race but I have never imagined myself to be able to actualy get placed in a race especially a running one so I was actually pretty downhearted on the walk home. I do think the course was probably 200m or so short so I can't get too carried away with my time but even so that would take me under the 25min mark which I am ecstatic with. I didn't think I had it in me to go that fast especially at this stage of the season. (And I am aware that for most of you out there, this is not 'fast' but for a plodder like me, it's thrilling!)

No comments:

Post a Comment