Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Wednesday 22 July 2009

In the beginning......

A few weeks ago I went to watch my friend Sam compete in the bournemouth triathlon. Having not done any triathlon for nearly 3 years due to other commitments I was a little shocked to realise how much I had missed it. Not that I miss Olympic distance you understand. I need to 'Go Long'...... The week later I planted the seed in Sam's head of completing her first Ironman and after securing some funding from the Royal Air Force Sports Lottery, we signed up.

Around this time Jo Kilkenny was attempting the first female attempt of the Arch 2 Arc. Unfortunately for Jo she didn't finish the swim though it sounded like she gave it everything in her attempt and did set a record for the run leg. So.....this left me with the thought of being 'in for a penny, in for a pound' and I decided to investigate. I spoke with Steve Haywood at Enduroman and he informed me there were still slots for both 2010 and 2011. Due to IM commitments in 2010 I proposed a 2011 attempt. However, the costs involved were a sticking point with estimates around the £5000 mark. I got on the sponsorship campaign and within a few days had my first sponsor.

I had contacted David Thomlinson at Accenture as I used to work at the company and knew their commitment to supporting sporting endeavours. I wasn't disappointed. David responded and offered to sponsor me £500 from their Foundation. How fantastic! A massive massive thank you to them for getting me on the way. Just another £4500 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment