Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Tuesday 2 August 2011

What is fitness....?

So, comedically, I almost failed my fitness test! Now, obviously I had a plan to only do the absolute minimum required to pass because of my concerns of causing any injury at this late stage. I still felt a bit rubbish dropping out at a mere 6.9 on the bleep test but I knew it was sensible. Next came press-ups which I knew I had to do 9 to do, not a problem. However, there had apparently been some kind of policy change which seems to have been adopted from the College - not sure if it is Air Force wide. We now have to do tricep press-ups. Infinitely harder and definitely require prior training. What's more there was no gashing it off! The PTI actually drew chalk marks lining up out shoulders with our middle fingers (so the arms are pressed right into the sides) and made us stay there. As there was only 3 of us, we did it individually so had nowhere to hide! It was insanely hard, but I pushed through (distinctly conscious of the pressure on my shoulders) and managed 9 very poor excuses for tricep press-ups. Thankfully it seemed enough to appease and I passed but it was a close call!! If that is going to become policy I have a lot of specific training to do. Which begs the questions - what is fitness? I am probably as fit as I have ever been and yet I nearly failed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bemoaning the MSFT, it's probably as accurate an assessment of general fitness as anything but it is an interesting thought!

Aside from that, work is extremely stressful, every little thing that could annoy me or go wrong is. It is the niff naff I wish I didn't have to deal with. For example, my travel claim to the Interservices last week was called for audit. Cue more form filling and a hunt for supporting documentation such as proof of having business insurance for the car. And the laptop I have borrowed to take to Cosford tomorrow for the very important briefing didn't work - it was locked out due to me given the wrong password. Thank goodness I checked otherwise it could've been egg-on-face day on Thursday! Anyway, hopefully come the press call on Friday, work should be calmer and I have now booked some extra days off in advance of the challenge to help me manage the stress better. Poor Adam, he's living with such a crazy loon at the moment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment