Mid-Channel....

Mid-Channel....

Thursday 12 August 2010

2010 Double Ironman Race Report (Part 5)

The Run:

I set off onto the run feeling pretty good. The plan initially was to stick with what I had done at IMCH and start off with a run/walk ratio of 9:1 dropping to 4:1 after 2.5hrs and walking any uphills. In the end the course lent itself nicely to run/walking as once you left the leisure centre there was a pavement leading up the road uphill to the point where you cross into the ‘Blair Witch Woods’. After climbing the steep steps cut into the mud that leads you up into the woods it is then flat until the run turnaround point. At the run turn-around point it is then again a long drag back up the road before heading downhill past the entrance to the woods and back into the leisure centre. So I decided early on that I would walk the long uphill drags and run the woods and the downhill back into the leisure centre and then I didn’t have to worry about timings or looking at my watch. I thought that would mean I would end up running about 60% and walking 40% which I thought would work.

On my first lap out I bumped into Marie who was doing an amazing job with only 3 or so laps to go until the end of her single IM. Her husband was entered into the Triple and she had decided to support him by entering her first IM. They both sacrificed a lot to make the start line and their stories are inspiring. When I caught up with Marie she was looking pretty upset and I asked what the matter was. It turns out she was battling a serious lower leg injury and could hardly run. She also had only 26minutes to make her cut-off and was feeling really low. I decided to spend my first two warm up laps with her encouraging her and pushing her on. I could see the panic that all her training and sacrifices would go to waste and I hoped I helped her through the worst of it. I encouraged her to push on and run when she could and her determination to push through the pain and do everything she could to make her cut off was absolutely awe-inspiring. It was absolutely the best motivation I could have received having been about to set off on my own journey of trials and tribulations so I thank Marie for allowing me the privilege of running those few laps with her, your strength inspired me so much to keep on if trouble hit.

With one lap to go for Marie, I left her to enjoy her glory moment and hit the tent to do a kit change. Now our tent is not particularly accommodating and my mother decided this was the time to renege on her crewing duties and go all David Bailey on me taking flattering shots such as me reversing lycra-clad arse first back out of the tent – thanks Mum! After a sponge down, baby wipe, hairbrush and change of clothes I felt in fine fettle and headed out for lap 4 of the run. I decided to run in my Skins as my quads were feeling pretty sore – probably from running a marathon only 13 days before! Having short laps was ideal as it was never far until the next interest point or friendly marshal! I really enjoyed running through the woods and the marshals on the run turn-around did an absolutely sterling job all day – they were so supportive and friendly, always cheering me on.

I was absolutely starving after the first few laps but was nervous about eating solid food having always relied on gels etc during long runs before and I was worried what it might do to my guts. On the return to the tent, Mum was nowhere to be found (I had, to be fair released her for a few laps to go have a wash-up) and I dived in rummaging through our things and coming out with half a buttered teacake in each fist! As there was a good walking section just after the athlete village I decided to eat the teacake, do the walking bit and then see how the woods felt for running. If my stomach didn’t like it I would just have that as a walking bit also. Happily I didn’t seem to have many problems and alternated through those first few laps as sugar lap (sweets or gels), water lap (to settle stomach), solid food lap (1/2 a roll or small bit of cake). Though the laps were short, getting to the half way point seemed to take forever!! I think because there are 42 laps and 42kms in a marathon I sort of equated (though I knew it wasn’t) that a lap was a km! Of course, as we were doing a double marathon each lap was actually 2kms so they didn’t come down as quickly as I had in my head that they would. Finally I reached the halfway point of 21 laps – hurray!!

Around this time I began to realise that the Danish girl who had been well ahead of me was really starting to struggle. She was starting to take walk breaks whereas before she had been mainly running. I caught up with her on one lap and asked if she was ok. She said she was really struggling with the heat and maybe hadn’t got her nutrition and hydration right. I did feel bad for her as she was only young though apparently she is quite an experienced athlete and I was thankful that Mum was winning the ongoing battle with me about keeping eating! As I started running again, it occurred that I had just gained a lap back on her and I began to wonder how far ahead she actually was. As she had come off the back at least 30mins ahead of me and had been running strongly for a marathon I thought she would be at least 6 or 7 laps ahead of my more relaxed run/walk pace. Within another 2 or 3 laps I had passed her again and decided to ask the run turnaround marshals how far ahead she was. It turned out she was now just over three laps ahead of me. Though I knew that was still quite a long way to make up (nearly 4miles within the 25 or so I head left) I began to get a little excited that maybe I could catch her. I decided not to really change my strategy but see if she continued to suffer and came back to me. I was aware that by pushing on and not sticking to my own race I could easily end up in the same predicament, only a few laps before she had been running well. So I continued with my run/walk plan, continuing to enjoy the run and take the time to speak with the marshals each lap. There was a road crossing just before the ‘Blair Witch Woods’ and the guys there were utterly wonderful, they must have been there for a good 24hours at least preventing all us zombiefied runners from being run over!!

I continued to stick to the plan but decided just to spend last time each lap chatting to Mum and the support crews in the athlete’s village. I had a few laps where I just grabbed a gel or half a banana from Mum and powered on through and soon I was within a lap or so of the leading girl. Around this time some of my friends arrived to support me so I eased back off the pace again a little as I wanted to be able to spend time with them on each lap and to thank them for coming over. I was also being lectured by Mum and Dan, who had formed some kind of pincer movement, that I must eat so I calmed down a bit and chowed down on mini-sausages and sweets!

I caught the leading lady with about 18 laps to go and concentrated on getting a few further laps between us in case she had a resurgence. I couldn’t believe for the slightest moment that I was the leading woman in the race as I just never win anything like this. I am a very middle of the pack athlete and though my aim was to lead out the swim I could believe here I was 26hours later back in the lead. It was a wonderful exciting experience and I was grinning like a Cheshire cat! Once I had put those few laps between us I decided I was going to now relax totally through the last half marathon or so and just really enjoy the experience as I was definitely not doing it again!! Adam managed to call again around lap 37 and we had a very random conversation in the woods. He couldn’t believe I had now been going for 28hours but was so excited for me that I was on the last stretch. He said he would call back in a little while when I had finished. I said I had about 6miles to go, so he said he would phone in an hour or so. I was like, um, try about 2 hours! Think his mind was boggled that I was going that slowly!!!

Finally I hit my 40th lap and I could begin to think of the finish. On your last lap you run the opposite direction to the other laps you have completed so you can high five all the other runners on the course as you pass them. Before setting out on my last lap I changed into my Herbalife kit and spent a moment with my Mum to thank her for all the amazing help and support she had given me over the last 32hours. I told her the last lap was for her and gave her a massive hug, I hope she was proud of what I had managed. The last lap was amazing! I was flying along, wanting to finish but also conscious to take it as slowly as I could and really absorb the atmosphere of that last lap and the feeling of achievement. I took the time to thank all the marshals who had supported us all so well for so long and happily high-fived and hugged my way past all the familiar faces I had raced with over the last two days. I took a short moment in the woods when it was quiet to reflect on what, for me, had been a perfect race. I had been so lucky. Bar a bit of soreness early on in the bike, I had had no major issues. I had no injuries, hadn’t felt sick or unwell, hadn’t got really tired, had no mechanicals, the weather had been fairly kind and I had been brilliantly and selflessly supported by my friends and family and most wonderfully all the other crews, marshals and the Enduroman team. I was full of happiness as I ran my way down the hill and into the athlete village for the last time. All the support crews high fived me down the run-in chute and I finally crossed under the finish banner in 32.16, and the female winner of the Double Ironman UK. Steve shook my hand and placed my medal round my neck and I posed for my finisher’s photo. I found my Mum and gave her a big hug and got a second photo taken of the three of us grinning from ear to ear! I had done it!

No comments:

Post a Comment